Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Why Not Cremation for Jacob & Joseph?

Genesis 49:29 - And he [JACOB] charged them, and said unto them, I am to be gathered unto my people: bury me with my fathers in the cave that is in the field of Ephron the Hittite.

Genesis 50:52-53 - And Joseph took an oath of the children of Israel, saying, God will surely visit you, and ye shall carry up my bones from hence.  So Joseph died, being an hundred and ten years old: and they embalmed him, and he was put in a coffin in Egypt.

Jacob & Joseph both aware of pagan practice of cremation.  Would have been easier, cheaper, much less hassle.  These not a valid reason for believers to practice it!  They went to great trouble to bury Jacob.  And then Joseph's bones were carried around for forty years until they could be placed in the family tomb!  Exodus 13:19; Joshua 24:32.  Burial in hope of the resurrection is the practice of God's people despite the difficulty or expense.

VM

No comments:

Post a Comment